We spent the holiday weekend at the beach in Fire Island. My parents have been going to Fire Island every year since they were in their twenties. I have so many amazing memories there from my childhood, as a teen, and a young adult. Check out this throwback picture of my family on the ferry to Fire Island from 1996!
It feels like a true escape from the daily grind and hustle and bustle of city life. Just a short 30-minute ferry ride from the mainland, there are no cars on the island and the tallest building can't be taller than the tallest tree. Everyone walks or bikes everywhere and you’ll see adults and children alike, heading to the beach with red wagons in tow. Though the water was a bit choppy on the ferry ride over to the island, the crisp breeze felt so nice and I was immediately transported into “vacation mode.”
For the past 7 years, we’ve had a tradition of spending one long weekend each summer in Fire Island with both Michael and my families. Everyone pitched in to make dinner and brunch everyday and the food was delicious all weekend! Between hanging out on the beach, swimming in the bay, taking Adina to the playground, and walking through town, the days were packed but laid back. I loved watching the sunset at the end of our block after dinner and swimming with Adina in the baby pool at the bay beach. I packed my most festive red, white, and blue frocks for the weekend (and obviously couldn't resist dressing Adina for the occasion too!)
GETTING TO FIRE ISLAND
DRIVING (either in your own car or a shuttle from NYC):
- http://www.fireislandferries.com/directions-2/ - 99 Maple Ave, Bay Shore, NY 11706
- David Bros. Car Service – 631-665-4800
- Tommy’s Taxi – 631-665-1515
Take the LIRR to Bay Shore, LI. From Bay Shore, you can take a cab or walk to the ferry. During the summer, the ferry goes from Bay Shore, Long Island (the mainland) to Ocean Beach or Seaview in Fire Island almost every hour or 2x every hour. Round trip tickets are $19.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO DINE AND SHOP IN OCEAN BEACH
- Rachel's Bakery & Restaurant - Yummy spot for brunch with friends or getting a home-made goodie for dessert
- Maguire's Bayfront Restaurant - Beautiful place to watch the sunset and eat right on the water
- Matthew's Seafood - Perfect spot to enjoy fresh fish on the water and dance the night away later in the evening
- Salty Stitch Beachwear - Has cute bathing suits and beachwear with island flare
- Ooh La La Boutique - Has super trendy clothes and accessories
- The General Store - This store doesn't have a website but it's one of the last shops on the main strip in Ocean Beach (right before Maguire's.) They have the cutest home decor, jewelry, and accessories and it's super affordable!
- Kenny Goodman Jewelry - Kenny Goodman is a staple of Fire Island. I remember going into his funky shop as a little girl and I absolutely LOVED wearing my sterling silver starfish anklet everyday of the summer. His shop is right around the corner from Rachel's and has beautiful wood and metal sculptures out front.
We watched the fireworks on our way home from Fire Island - the perfect end to an unforgettable holiday weekend. Last summer while I was pregnant, I remember thinking how the next season I'd be out would be with a baby. It was so surreal and special to bring Adina to this magical place for the first time.